Monday, August 15, 2011

Funky Sexy Manifesto #2 Visit a Nude Beach

My Funky Sexy Manifesto: Survivor Resolutions

My Survivor Resolutions were created the day after I got my cancer-free diagnosis. It is my attempt to do the things that just can't wait any more. (I refuse to wait to do any more.) Some of them are a little crazy and others more sane. For the case of privacy, and because I work in the public sector, I have chosen not to post some of these resolutions. All my resolutions are legal. (Wink! Wink!)

As promised, I am inspired to write about these Funky Sexy resolutions.


#2 Visit a nude beach
Okay, I decided to post this one which is one of my crazier resolutions. (Sexy too, depends on how you look at it.) Why would I want to visit a nude beach? ("Clothing optional" is what it is called on Centre Island. I love that. So diplomatic.) I wanted to celebrate and honour my body, my booty, my temple by baring it all. So I decided to do something as daring as walking around in my birthday suit, showing what my mama gave me. On a visit to Centre Island with my friend Denise, I insisted we visit the Clothing Optional Beach to scope it out. I wanted to know what I was getting myself into for a future date when I actually visit. Centre Island is one of Toronto's Islands. It's a big park which I like to visit from time to time. It was also the location of my Vex in the City Part #7. I wanted to know what I was getting into, scope out the territory, so the next time I come to the island, I'd be mentally prepared.

Where did I get this idea?



I watched an episode of Girlfriends, a sitcom about four African-American professional women. I used to love this show and it was so realistic yet very funny. (I identified with a blend of two characters-- Joan and Lynn (the two in the middle of the photo)-- who were both as opposite as you could get. Joan was an organized (read: controlling), neurotic, serial-dating, desparately wanting to get married corporate lawyer turned night lounge owner and Lynn was a broke, urban hippy, underemployed artist, musician, filmmaker who is a bit of a freak.) When Joan turned 30, she had a "Things to Do When You Turn 30" list. On her list was to go to a nude beach. It worked out well... she arrived with her trio of girlfriends in tow but little did she expect to see her dad in the buff at the beach! (Can someone say, awkward?) This canned the plans of Joan's nude beach experience especially since she did not know her father was a nudist.

Watch the episode here:
Girlfriends S2E8 Joan's Birthday Party pt.1


Girlfriends S2E8 Joan's Birthday Party pt.2

When my friend and I got to the Clothing Optional beach, it looked pretty normal... like a beach. Located on Hanlan's Point (a section of Centre Island), the beach was huge with beautiful sand and full of people. The people I saw seemed pretty clothed but then I saw one... then another... then another... naked person!!! I could not believe my eyes. Mostly men completely nude and some women who went topless. These folks were so comfortable and just lay there, walking around, and acting completely natural... letting it all hang out except they're neck-id (urban way of saying naked).

Oh my gosh!!! I was totally freaked out but tried to play it cool. I couldn't have felt more "out of place" and anxious (and uncomfortable and uneasy). I did not expect to react this way. I kept my eyes averted most of the time but I could see neck-id people out of the corners. My reaction shocked myself. I'm an artist. Shouldn't I be comfortable with painting and sketching the human form? Don't artsy people do things "off the beaten path" like get married underwater, paint themselves with avocados, attend concerts of artists no one has heard of, and hang out at nude beaches?

When I originally thought up the idea to go to the nude beach, it was hard to find anyone in my circle, friends and fiancé, who would actually go nude with me on this beach. My friend who accompanied me that day agreed to "scope it out" since I planned to come back next time on my own and go nude.

For the moment, Denise and I decided that we had enough of the nude beach. So we decided to exit the beach by walking across it with our bikes. In the absence of a path, we dragged our bikes through sand on a beach on a sunny blazing hot day? Crazy, I know. (Like 100 pounds of lead in a stove.)

That day I realized, "I am not ready for this." I listened to my gut. Although I think it's mad cool that Toronto has a nude beach, I decided that there are other ways to celebrate my body that did not make me feel uncomfortable and awkward. I don't have to bare all to feel good about myself. (Not yet, anyway. I'm joking.) No judgement on folks who are nudists (who are extremely brave and normal by the way) but I pass. Next!!!

1 comment:

Donna said...

It's okay if you gave up on that activity. Perhaps you just aren't used to many people exposing their bodies at the beach. I can't wait to see the other resolutions on your manifesto.


Donna Parsley