Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Last Thyroid Scanning?


By the way, this is the real photo of my ultrasound machine and the bed I lay in.

I went for a neck ultrasound ordered by Endo #5. Being just over a year (January 24, 2011) since my thyroidectomy (a surgery in which the thyroid is removed), Endo #5 thought it was time I did an ultrasound to make sure it was all clear. As my scar Meaty is disappearing and my thyroid treatments are getting farther and farther between, I feel like I'm moving beyond cancer. As I lay on the bed and the technician rubs the probe along my neck, I tried to croon my neck a bit to see the screen, to see what images I could decipher but it's difficult. I ain't no trained technician so I just close my eyes and relax.

She asks me if I had cancer and what kind and then what kind of thyroid cancer.

After a few moments of sliding the probe along my slippery neck, the technician asked, "Did you have a cold recently or something?"

"Yes," I said. "I had a few illnesses in the last month."

"Okay. I'm going to show these images to the radiologist."

She tosses me a towel (that lands partially on my face, hey!) and leaves.

Then, of course, in true Blue Butterfly-fashion, I panic. What could it be? Could it be another illness? Did she something? Doctors have told me lymph nodes tend to be on the larger side, did she see any big behemoth lymph nodes? Will the radiologist order me to do more tests?

I lay there. Trying to relax and breathing through the seconds... minutes... I fell asleep in the waiting room prior to this appointment so I tried to go back to my happy sleeping place without luck.

After about 15 minutes, the technician re-emerges and I hold my breath.

"Okay, you're free to go," she says.

And with a sigh of relief, I get up, wipe that nasty ultrasound gunk off my neck, get rid of this blue gown, and get dressed.

I'm out!

No comments: