Sunday, October 23, 2011

Stone Cold, Spicy, Savoury and Sweet (Vegan Photo Album 5)

Perfect at this time of harvest all over North America, this Vegan Photo Album is a smattering of many foods plant-based. It is quite a mix of cold and warm items, spicy, savoury, and a little bit of sweet. I went through a phase over the summer when I made a lot of cold items, a few main dish salads. I liked the variety but I must admit that it drove my fiance a little batty. The salads had the appearance of not being filling but for me they filled me just fine. Unfortunately, I cannot find photos of my Caribbean Pigeon Pea and Brown Rice Salad from The Tropical Tropical Vegan Kitchen. Other items I did not have a chance to photograph were served at my I CanSurvive Picnic on my birthday which include Thai-Style Pineapple Rice Salad from Vegan on the Cheap, the complete Tropical Betty with crust from the same cookbook, and my newly invented patty pie. I invented the Jamaican Beef Patty Pie after I ruined a few batches of crust. It was an invention out of necessity. This was a lovely version of "rice and gungo peas", as I called them growing up, served cold with plenty of spices to tantalize the tongue. For the sake of time, I have written very little about the preparation of the dishes in this photo album. Plant-based, vegan goodness as always! I continue to make these photo albums to showcase the diversity of vegan cuisine. Never boring! Unlimited! My favourite item on this whole list. The Buffalo Tofu hands down. Pimp my tofu!


Cacciatore Noodle Bake from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson
Made with seitan!








Tastes even better with Daiya cheese.




Buffalo Tofu from The Vegan Soulfood Guide to the Galaxy by Afya Ibomu
Favourite, favourite, favourite dish! I don't care what the calorie count is. Tastes so much and better than buffalo wings. You get all the same flavour but more pure protein, no bones, and no lives sacrificed. Just amazing! I'm speechless.











Comfort Loaf with Creamy Mushroom Gravy with Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson
I saw this recipe and gave in. I made it all in one evening after work. I was enticed by the name, comfort loaf. Reminded me of meatloaf. Tastes like it, looks like it, and sniff! smells like it too. The vegan mashed potato recipe was found on the internet. The gravy was sooo tasty too. Too bad there was not enough for extra servings. Need to double the gravy recipe next time.















Curried TVP Stew with Roti from Caribbean Vegan by Taymar Mason
I had a craving for some serious chicken roti and luckily Taymar Mason had a recipe which delivered. It was extremely spicy but I appreciated the nice chunks of TVP (texturized vegetable protein) and chick peas. I love me some roti.












Tropic of Tempeh from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson
I first served up this dish for some last minute visitors. They are omnivores and relatively new to vegan cuisine. They loved this along with my fiance and I. The pineapple is so sweet and tangy and really makes this dish pop.









Tabbouleh Chick Pea Salad from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson




Tropical Betty filling from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson
This dish was prepared for my ICanSurvive Picnic and is one of the few photos I had taken during those days when I crazily cooked up a storm. I didn't get the photo of the complete version with the crust.






Nacho Taco Salad from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson





Mystery meal, I have no idea what this is. All I know is that there are two separate recipes here and a salary. Spooky!




Mexican Barley, Corn, and Bean Salad in The Tropical Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein




Luau Salad from The Tropical Kitchen by Donna Klein
My fiance loved this with the crunchy chow mein noodles. I prefered the "day after" version with the soggy, soft chow mein noodles. The presentation is lovely though, eh? I did good.





Garden Rotini and Chickpea Salad with Inner Goddess Dressing from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson





No comments: