Sunday, October 16, 2011

Funky Sexy Manifesto # 25 Run to Raise Money for Cancer

When I began my Cancer Exercise program in June this year, I had the urge to do one thing that I loved used to do... run. It had been two years since my first one and only running event, running 21 kilometres (13 miles) at the Mississauga Marathon in 2009. The program I affectionately called CanEx, helped me gain strength and confidence in my physical ability and my body. So I decided that one of my Funky Sexy Manifestos would need to be running to raise money for cancer. I decided to complete the 5k of the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I knew the 5k would be a more manageable distance and that I could take the seven weeks or so to prepare for it. During this time, I got sick three separate times (including the present chest cold I have) which affected my training schedule a bit. For example, this week I was scheduled to complete four training runs and instead I managed to complete one. In the end, I decided that my final goal was to complete the 5 kilometres whether or not I completed all of my training runs. Despite the cooler temperature and raindrops on this day, I completed the race in 43 minutes and met my $ 300 fundraising goal for Wellspring Cancer Support Centre.

Inspiring running gloves to give me luck.


Just before the starting gate at Exhibition Place.


Getting closer to the end.


100 metres to be exact.


My time minus 5 minutes since I did not get past the gate until 12:05pm.


Feeling pumped and proud to have finished.


I know I run like a girl. Try to keep up.

No comments: